Course Date: Sunday 17 March 2024
Location: Cowshed Workshop, Tenterden, Kent, TN30 6TH
These courses are for absolute beginners and for people who’ve made a basket or two. Teenagers from the age of 12 are also able to take part.
Weaving with natural materials is very therapeutic, as you are using head, heart and hands, bringing body and mind back in sync. You’re focused and in a tranquil setting, allowing your brain to use work in a different way.
What can I Expect?
- A relaxed time, immersing yourself in being creative with natural materials;
- Making a lampshade, using stripped willow or rattan and a number of basketry techniques to make your item rigid;
- Step-by-step, easy to follow guidance from start to finish;
- Find out all you need to know about cultivation and preparation of willow;
- Learn ancient basketry techniques and explore other projects with the same use of techniques;
- Your amazing lampshade(s) is/are made from 100% sustainable materials, the ethical, eco-friendly way; and
- All willow, use of tools, teas, coffees and fruit are included. I advise people to bring a packed lunch. There will be fruit for when we get peckish.
There is a maximum of six participants per discipline.
It’s a fantastic time to spend with friends, but also really refreshing to share with like-minded people you’ve not met before.
Basket weaving is very therapeutic, as you are using head, heart and hands, bringing body and mind back in sync. Working in a group allows you to share experiences, bounce off ideas, so it’s also a great way to build new friendships. Truly refreshing for both mind and spirit.
Is this for me?
Over the years, people with disabilities, or who were thought to be lesser abled were still able to weave with rattan or stripped willow, as it’s a light, slender and flexible material. Not quite sure about your abilities, then just get in touch and I will assess to see whether it’s for you.
I try to organise the courses in creative and / or rural locations; on farms and in art studios for instance. This way, we have the benefits of nature and inspiration around us to fully reconnect and rewild. The Cowshed Workshop is tucked away in the Kent countryside, away from traffic noise and fumes. It’s a luscious, green location with lots of wildlife around us.
Please contact me for a more tailored experience, should you like to book a private course, or would need to have certain needs considered.
Please note: A minimum of four delegates is required to run this course. Should bookings not reach the minimum number this course may be rescheduled. Please book your course a two weeks before the course date to allow for the preparation to take place.