Course Date: Of your Choice
Location: Of your Choice
These courses are for absolute beginners and for people who’d like to experiment with different shapes. The materials are all carefully selected for what we’ll make; a traditional dish, showing you quite a structured, methodical way of working, and a contemporary vessel, which gives you an opportunity to create something that is more free flowing and playful. This will give you a good impression of what it can be like, weaving with willow or hedgerow and with different, ancient weaving techniques. The perfect spot for a basket weaving experience is a tranquil setting with nature all around us to fully reconnect and rewild. Private full-day courses are £600. The basket-weaving courses start at 09:30 and finish around 17:30. The wreath or plant support courses start at 10:00 and finish around 16:30.
What can I Expect?
- A relaxed time, immersing yourself in being creative with natural materials in a tranquil setting;
- A traditional dish and contemporary vessel made out of different varieties of basketry willow;
- The step-by-step, easy to follow guidance from start to finish product;
- You will learn ancient basketry techniques and explore other projects with the same use of techniques; the morning being a structured experience and the afternoon a playful, free-style one;
- Find out about cultivation, preparation of willow and hedgerow materials and care for your item;
- Learn how to use tools provided and what to use if you don’t have those tools at home;
- Your lovely wreath is made from 100% sustainable materials, the ethical, eco-friendly way; and
- All willow, use of tools (if you don’t like using your own), teas, coffees and fruit are included. I advise people to bring a packed lunch.
There is a maximum of seven per course.
Basket weaving is very therapeutic, as you are using head, heart and hands, bringing body and mind back in sync. Working in a group allows you to share experiences, bounce off ideas, so it’s also a great way to build new friendships. Truly refreshing for both mind and spirit.
Is this for me?
Over the years, people with disabilities, or who were thought to be lesser abled were still able to weave a basket. Not quite sure about your abilities, then just get in touch and I will assess to see whether it’s for you.
I try to organise the courses in rural locations; on farms for instance. This way, we have the benefits of nature around us to fully reconnect and rewild.
It’s a fantastic time to spend with friends. Once booked, we will liaise and tailor your experience to your needs and your location.