Course Date: Saturday 25 May 2024
Location: Penhurst Retreat Centre Charitable Trust, The Manor House, Penhurst, East Sussex, TN33 9QP
Get immersed in nature around you while weaving an obelisk or cloche and learning age-old basketry techniques. Go for a tailored course and experience it with friends. Great for body and soul!
These courses are for absolute beginners and for people who’ve worked with willow or other natural materials before.
What can I Expect?
- A relaxed time, immersing yourself in being creative with natural materials in a tranquil setting;
- An obelisk or cloche made out of different varieties of Somerset basketry willow;
- The step-by-step, easy to follow guidance from the start of your base until the finished product;
- You will learn ancient basketry techniques and explore other projects with the same use of techniques;
- Find out about cultivation and preparation of willow and hedgerow materials;
- Learn how to use tools provided and what to use if you don’t have those tools at home;
- Your amazing plant support is made from 100% sustainable materials, the ethical, eco-friendly way; and
- All materials, use of tools (if you don’t like using your own), teas, coffees and fruit are included. I advise people to bring a packed lunch.
It’s a great day to spend with friends, but also really refreshing to do amongst like-minded people you’ve not met before. It also opens your eyes to the variety of ways in which to apply your new skills. Working with natural materials is very therapeutic, as you are using head, heart and hands, bringing body and mind back in sync.
I try to organise the workshops in rural locations; on farms for instance, as then we have the full benefit of nature around us to fully reconnect and rewind.
Is this for me?
Over the years, people with disabilities, or who were thought to be lesser abled were still able to take part. Not quite sure about your abilities, then just get in touch and I will assess to see whether it’s for you.
Please contact me for a more tailored experience.
Please note: A minimum of five delegates is required to run this course. Should bookings not reach the minimum number this course may be rescheduled. Please book your course two weeks before the course date to allow for the preparation to take place.